Sunday 12 October 2014

The Sleepy Goodbye

Yesterday I was busy packing and preparing for my trip to the Philippines. Eka kept out of my way, keeping busy with his new books and his backyard digging project (a.k.a. I'm building something). We had an unspoken understanding that it was a day where attentions were bound to be divided. So both of us got busy in keeping occupied with the tasks at hand. 

By the time the day ended, I had finished my preparations and Eka was ready to hit the bed. When I went to tuck him in he asked me if I would be there in the morning when he woke up. Since my flight was at 9:05 am that necessitated I leave by 7:00, I told him only if he wakes up early. Being Sunday, waking up early is highly irregular so we left it at that. 

This morning after I woke up and finished my last minute readiness regime, I had 15 minutes to spare before the taxi arrived to take me to the airport. Neerja and I agreed to wake Eka up so that I could say goodbye before my 10-day trip commenced.  We sat by Eka's bedside and gently nudged him awake. His sleepy eyes looked up without any recollection of the need to disturb his slumber. I whispered that I was about to leave and had come to wish him goodbye. My angel looked into my eyes, smiled, wished me good morning and goodbye and kept looking at me while I sat beside him. I knew he wanted to sleep but he waited!

Gently I lulled him to get back to sleep which didn't take long. But he took my hand and held it to keep me close to him. He didn't want me to leave though he knew I had to. 

With a reluctant heart I freed myself of my baby's hug and let him sleep peacefully. No fuss, no tears, just a peaceful goodbye. 

Sitting at the airport lounge as I write this note, I can't wait to get back when my journey has hardly begun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment