Thursday 11 September 2014

Climbing my Mount Everest

Extending my physical capabilities was never a fundamental need for me. Through my childhood and teens I was content with my ability to marginally engage in physical activities. I knew it wasn't due to any limitation but my will to participate. But I have since continued in this mild association with workouts and physical challenges.

Yet I knew this was not a trait to pass along the family line and I hoped Eka would be better. Boy, was I in for a surprise.

A year or so back we were out on a weekend at South Bank for one of the cultural evenings. This meant festive ambiance for us and rides and treats for Eka. Amid other things, Eka wanted to try his hands on rock climbing. Well why not? Eka was thrilled to get his hands and feed on the little nooks and grooves and climb all the way to the top. Despite fear, Neerja and I kept looking at him in awe. He was doing what I could only dream of.



This experience with measured doses of videos on Parkour fuelled Eka's interest in climbing and jumping. I constantly encourage him to overcome his fear of jumping from heights and he has been improving in spot jumps and hurdles, descending jumps, and long jumps. 

One evening we were at Currumbin Beach where perched on the beach stands a rock formation that is perfect to climb. 

The moment Eka laid his eyes on it he wanted to scale it. Doubt and apprehension crept all over the parental protective response system. It could simply have been a negative and that would have been the end, albeit a whiny one.

But to forge Eka's confidence, as parents we had to set ourselves up for the challenge too. With baby steps we moved closer to the gigantic rock (it did feel so for what we were attempting) and convinced ourselves this is good for him.

As we reached the rock Eka broke off from the protective security detail of his Ma and Pa and ran towards his Everest. 



At first he contented himself by climbing close to the ground, trying to gauge himself. 



As he became surefooted the altitude rose. Within a few minutes he was at the summit looking down at us and beaming like the sun shining from a mountain top. Oh what bliss. And now he had to come down... Oh fish!



Constant pandering on being careful, watching where to place feet, looking around for best nooks and crannies, and a couple of minutes later Eka was back on mother earth. 

Relief, joy, awe, pride, adoration, and other such emotions followed.

Since then, rock climbing has been a constant companion in our weekend outings. It helps both father and son overcome our fears. While he climbs I see the world from his eyes.



1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely great! My dear son, I can feel ur pride about your son nd our grandson. Am glad u r taking bolder steps with him than the ones I took with you.
    Go on, my dear! Scale ur mental Everests while our dear Eka scales his and we scale our heights of joy watching all of u...

    ReplyDelete